East Mountain Chamber of Commerce
General Meeting Minutes
January 6, 2011
President Suzy Clay called the meeting to order at 11:45am.
Board Members present were: Suzy Clay, Peggy Moeller-Mead, Bob Brittain, Linda Eaglefeather, Paul Mendoza and David Saegart. Deea Emmons was absent.
New Member Presentation: Robin Markley of BeeHive Homes gave the Chamber an update on the exciting things happening with her business; an assisted-living facility with 15 resident rooms with private bath. The BeeHive philosophy is to work to get the client out of an unsafe home environment into a safe caring facility. When necessary, BeeHive will bring hospice services to care for the resident, they never have to leave. The base rate is $3500 per month and Robin indicated that 8 of the 15 rooms are already filled. The Grand Opening is scheduled for early March and the Chamber will be invited to this event.
Current Member Presentation: The Sandia Mountain Lions Clubs has been involved in the East Mountains for the last 35 years. Bobby Richardson shared with us that the 2011 Theme for Lions International is “Helping Individuals with Blindness Around the World.” It was his honor to present the Melvin Jones Award for outstanding humanitarian service to Dr Robert Quick. Dr Quick graciously accepted this honor and spoke of how much the Lions do for the community with there Mobile Unit which serves those in our community with the greatest need.
Guest Speaker: Suzy Clay, the 2011 East Mountain Chamber of Commerce President set out her agenda for the year and asked members for support and input in the following:
- “Business After Hours”, Suzy would like to have 3-4 this year and would like to combine with the Edgewood Chamber.
- Need new members, 3 new businesses joined today. Currently have 85 and we need 100!
- Would like to have 1-2 meetings of the Chamber in the evening so more businesses can attend
- Need ideas for Fund Raising (we will not be doing the Golf Tournament this year)
- Need to make our name known, the Chamber needs to market themselves and Suzy asked the membership for suggestions on how to do this!
- SASS would like to have a Business Meeting Mixer at Founder’s Ranch.
- Suzy also recommended that we consider having Business meetings at different locations. (Although there was a lot of discussion about this recommendation, including input from the President of the Edgewood which suggested that doing this may cause confusion with the members knowing where to meet.)
President Suzy Clay concluded by thanking everyone for their support and she looks forward to a very productive and exciting 2011 with the East Mountain Chamber of Commerce.
Old and New Business: There was no new business except for the information contained in Suzy Clay’s remarks.
Paul Mendoza gave his close-out remarks about the 2010 Breakfast with Santa. It was a great success bringing in a total of $3,695, which is double that of last year. The Silent Auction was a great idea and will be part of the 2011 Breakfast with Santa. In addition, Paul is planning to set up committees well in advance (Aug/Sept) to begin this year’s event. He gave a special thank you to the clean-up committee from Vista Grande Church.
Susan Walker presented information about the fund raiser for February, a Valentines Dinner and Dance. After discussion with members, it was decided to move the event to March 26th and It will be a Spring Fling Banquet. Linda Eaglefeather will assist Susan Walker in the planning for this event.
Treasurer’s Report: Outgoing 2010 Treasurer, Susan Walker gave the ending balance for 2010, $4,489.50.
Drawing for Member of the Month: January 2011 Member of the Month is Tijeras Subway, congratulations.
______________________________________________________________________________Respectfully submitted by Linda M Eaglefeather, Secretary